Yesterday we talked about how pro-biotic foods can help strengthen your immune system helping you to avoid the flu and cold seasons. Let’s take this one step more and talk about some other foods and vitamins to be sure you are up on to help that immune system. Remember it is not any one thing that will strengthen your immune system. See yesterdays article Avoiding the Flu and Cold Season!
1. Be sure to eat a variety of wholesome greens and fruits to be sure that you keep your vitamins and minerals tip top. Vitamins A, B6, C and E and the minerals zinc, iron, copper and selenium are critical for maintaining strength and immunity. A good whole food multi-vitamin can help to fill in the holes in your vitamin food provided schedule. It does not hurt to pick up the level of vitamin C in your diet. Vitamin C contains antioxidants that can help to reduce symptoms and duration of sickness if you do get the flu.
2. There are some foods that naturally aid the body in fighting sickness. Mushrooms help to increase the production white blood cells with provides a boost to your immune system. Garlic has antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties and can prevent infections from taking hold. Green tea has been shown to provide a boost to the immune system.
3. Avoid sugar period if you can. Sugar weakens the immune system greatly. Studies have been done that show white blood cells when exposed to sugar loose their effectiveness. Keep in mind that sugar causes inflammation. If you swell up so to speak nothing flows or moves as easily through the body.
4. Keep your exercise level up, just because it is not warm outside it is not the time to stop your activity. Exercise stimulates the human growth hormone which helps to strengthen your immune system.
5. Getting a good nights sleep helps to heal the body and keep stress levels lower. 90% of disease starts with stress weakening the body in some manner.
So you can see no one thing will keep you healthy with a super boosted immune system, it takes a balance of many different things. But does that surprise you, after all human beings are not a simple celled animals.