I came across some grass-fed ground lamb and just had to try it. So I made these gyros (lamb burgers stuffed in a pita). And boy did they really hit the spot. They were a fabulous lunch and quite filling. The yogurt sauce really made these lamb-burgers shine (the recipe is below). Try these and you will definitely want to make these again and again. I know my family is after me already to make them again. I guess I have to get some more ground lamb 🙂
On a sugar-free / grain-free diet? Serve these burgers without the pita, on a bed of lettuce and drizzled generously with the yogurt sauce. Mmmmm!
- 1 pound grass-fed lamb
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole wheat pita bread rounds (6-inch), cut 1 to 2 inches off the top of each pita
- 1 1/2 cups chopped or shredded lettuce
- 1 recipe, Yogurt Sauce (Tzatziki), prepare the night before (see recipe below)
Place ground lamb in a large mixing bowl, add the oregano, garlic, pepper, onion powder, cumin, and salt. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Form lamb mixture into 4 oblong-shaped patties about 1/2-inch thick. Grill or broil until desired doneness.
To serve, open pita to form a pocket, fill with some lettuce, insert burger, fill with some more lettuce, and drizzle generously with the Yogurt Sauce (Tzatziki). Repeat with the rest of the pitas.
Yogurt Sauce (Tzatziki)
- 3/4 cup whole yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated cucumber (scoop out seeds with a spoon first, then grate and squeeze out excess water)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
Mix all ingredients together in a small jar or bowl until combined. Cover and refrigerate overnight to let the flavors meld.
Makes about 1-cup of sauce.